Architecture - Design - House Extensions - Loft Conversions - Barn Conversions - Renovation - Refurbishment - Planning Applications - Building Regulations - New Build

Useful Tips

Help with New Build, Extensions, Conversions and Renovations

If you are planning a new project, whether it be an extension, renovation or a new build there are a few points you should consider.

Insurance is worth having, giving you piece of mind knowing you are covered. Builders may well feel their insurance covers you adequately but should you purchase any materials these will be considered your property and your builder is therefore unable to claim for theft of these items or injury relating to them. You will also need insurance for the land as this is your property and should you take on a tradesman yourself, such as an electrician you may also require employers liability insurance.

Taxes will depend on the project. Self builders can redeem VAT spent on materials so retain receipts to make a claim post completion. If renovating you are liable to VAT on labour and materials unless the home has been empty for 3-10 years and you are bringing it back to life where you will receive a VAT reduction of 5% or a full VAT reduction on installation or renewable technologies such as solar panels. Capital Gains tax is not charged on your principle private residence it can apply if you sell off a large area (more than 1/2 a hectare) of garden as a building plot.

Applying for planning permission can seem like a daunting process, but in needn’t be. Some plots will come with planning permission in place. However, the best means to a successful outcome will be to have a good architectural designer. Even if your plot has planning permission any deviations you wish to make to the original plans may require you re-applying. It is possible to buy plots in an agreement where you only complete purchase if planning permission is granted. Many extensions will not require planning permission and will fall within your permitted development. Whatever your project, it is worth gaining expert professional advise from an architect or architectural designer.

Whether renovation or a new build you will require building regulations approval. Detailed drawings are submitted by your architect generally once planning permission is granted, but they can be submitted at the same time to speed the process up. The Building Control office will inspect the different stages of the project before providing a completion certificate.

The initial stage to any new project will be to appoint your architect or architectural designer who will then design your project. The length of the build will depend upon many factors but as a new build can take 9-15 months on site, a renovation project can take 4-12 months and a small extension 2-5 months. Of course these time scales can vary due to many different factors. The main thing is to find a very good builder and for this your architect can recommend high quality builders they will have worked with on many projects.

Depending on the extent of your build you may consider renting further accommodation to live in during your project or some self builders choose to live in a caravan on site.

Whatever your project Dylan Morton Design and Architecture based in Royston near Cambridge provide a professional bespoke service to suit all requirements, so for a no obligation free consultation please give us a call and we would be happy to help and provide advice.

Please Call Us

Leave a Reply